Skin feeling dry, tight and irritated is a common thing that we come across daily. This normally is an indication that our skin barrier is impaired and not functioning properly and causes our skin to be reactive.
What is the Skin Barrier?
Our skin barrier the outermost layer of our skin cell, as well as the lipid matrix of our skin and, is responsible to hold our cells together. The function of our barrier is to help retain moisture and defend our skin against external irritants like bacteria and environmental debris from penetrating through our skin causing sensitive reactions. Our barrier is made out of lipids that bind our skin cells together, and when this is all intact our skin feels soft and it acts calm and healthy. The skin of an intact barrier will be plump, smooth, radiant and soft.
So what happens when the skin barrier gets damaged?
When our skin barrier gets damaged/impaired it creates small invisible cracks in our skin, the moisture in our skin escapes the skin more easily and it allows irritants to enter our skin very easily. This causes our skin to become more reactive and leads to tight, dry and sensitive skin.
Symptoms of an impaired barrier include:
- Dryness from the lack of oil in the skin
- Dehydration from the lack of water in the skin
- Tightness due to the dehydration.
- Skin feels sensitive and gets easily irritated
- Rough skin to the touch
- Stinging or burning sensation when products are applied
- Creepiness and fine lines
- Skin rashes like eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Increased breakouts
What causes our skin barrier to get damaged?
- Over Exfoliation of the skin
- Harsh cleaning products
- Topical prescription products for acne
- Alcohol-based toners
- Not protecting our skin from the sun
- Daily use of acidic ingredients
- High concentrations of essential oils and citrus oils.
- Dry climate
- Long airplane flights
- Air conditioners
And the list goes on…
How can we at Essel help you fix those impaired barriers?
In Practice treatment:
- Cleanse with DNA Epinew Maxi Cleanse and Aesthet Foaming Cleanser
- Apply Aesthet Ezymatic Keratopeel
- Apply Stem cell mask and massage it gently in
- Massage the face with Humankind Tissue Oil Cream
- Apply Aesthet Post-treatment moisturizer
- Apply SPF 30
Essel Mesoskin Treatment:
- Cleanse: Maxi cleanse to remove any make-up. Then perform a second cleanse using the Aesthet Foaming Cleanser
- Mix: Recovery Serum and Stem Cell serum and preform MesoSkin Treatment.
- Apply Wrinkle Relaxant to the skin. If Acne Rosacea is present you can apply Blemish free gel to the affected areas.
- Treatment can be combined with Keratopeel.
- Treatment can be done every 2-4 weeks.
Essel Home Regime Treatment:
Essential products for Homecare